History of our Eparchy
On January 2, 1965 The Ceremony of Consecration of His Excellency THE MOST REVEREND MICHAEL RUSNAK, CSsR., D.D. (Titular Bishop of Cernik, Apostolic Visitator for Slovaks of the Byzantine Rite in Canada, Auxiliary Bishop to THE MOST REVEREND ISIDORE BORECKY, D.D., Eparch of Toronto) took place at 3:00pm at SAINT MICHAEL'S CATHEDRAL, Toronto, Ontario
On October 13, 1980 Bishop Michal Rusnak, CSsR was appointed as the first "Ordinary" (Bishop) for Byzantine Catholic Slovaks in Canada
On October 13, 1980 The Slovak Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius in Canada was established
On February 28, 1981 Bishop Michael Rusnak, CSsR was enthroned as the first "Ordinary" (Bishop) for Byzantine Catholic Slovaks in Canada at St. Nicholas Church in Toronto
In 1984 Work began in Markham on the Slovak Byzantine Catholic Cathedral of the Transfiguration. The Cathedral was conceived and funded by Stephen B. Roman, a Slovak immigrant to Canada who built up the Denison Mines corporation. Mr. Roman funded and designed the building, modeling the structure on the church in the Slovak village of Velky Ruskov where he was raised. The cathedral was built on a donated portion of his Romandale estate. That year it became the first church in North America to be consecrated by a Pope when John Paul II blessed the cornerstone on September 15th during his trip to Canada. Among its features is the world's largest three bell carillon, with the French made bells weighing 32,000 pounds, and 300 cm diameter. The mosiacs are are said to contain about 5 million pieces. The cathedral was built to hold 1000 worshippers. The central tower rises 63 metres (about 20 storeys) and is topped by a gold onion dome. The church was designed by Donald Buttress a renowned architect.
On November 11, 1996 Bishop Michal Rusnak, CSsR retired
On November 22, 1996 The Very Reverend Fr. John Fetsco, CSsR was appointed as Apostolic Administration for the Eparchy
On December 2, 2000 Bishop John Pazak, CSsR was appointed as the second "Ordinary for Byzantine Catholic Slovaks in Canada
On February 14, 2001 Bishop John Pazak, CSsR was installed as the second "Ordinary" for Byzantine Catholic Slovaks in Canada
On January 16, 2003 Bishop Michal Rusnak, CSsR, D.D. passed away at the age of 81
On June 23, 2009 The Very Reverend John Fetsco, CSsR passed away at the age of 79

History of our Parish ~

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Slovak Byzantine Catholic Church
On Dec. 14, 1952 Three priests, Fr. Michal Rusnak, CSsR, Fr. Ludvik Mina, CSsR, and Father Ondrej Krafcik, CSsR celebrated the Slovak Byzantine Catholic liturgy in Old Slavonic for the first time in Hamilton in the Ukrainian Church of the Holy Ghost
In Sept. 1953 Fr. Frantisek Jozef Fuga was appointed as the first pastor of our soon to be built Slovak Byzantine Catholic church
On Oct. 1954 Land at 1406 Barton Street East for building the church, hall and rectory was purchased
In 1956 The groundbreaking ceremony took place
On Dec. 22, 1957 Construction of the chapel, rectory and hall began and was blessed by Bishop Borecky
In 1963 Construction of the church began
In May 1970 Artist Igor Sukhachev started to paint the icons in the church
On November 9, 1987 The Very Reverend Monsignor Frantisek Jozef Fuga (Mitred Arch-Priest) passed away at the age of 64 and was buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Burlington, Ontario on November 13, 1987
On August 6, 1989 Fr. Jozef Mucha was ordained priest in the Slovak Cathedral of the Transfiguration in Markham
From November 1987 to April 1990 Fr. Jozef Papulay was appointed administrator of our church
From April 1990 to the end of February 1996 Fr. Jozef Mucha was appointed as administrator of our church
From March 1996 to June 30, 1999 Fr. Peter Tomas was appointed administrator of our church
In July 2, 1999 Fr. Jozef Mucha was re-appointed as administrator of our church to the present time.
On Dec. 14, 2002 Our parish celebrated its 50th anniversary
On Dec. 14, 2012 Our parish celebrated its 60th anniversary